How is Christmas celebrated in the underwater world? Adventure Aquarium will take guests deep beneath the surface for a glimpse into the magic of the holiday season during Christmas Underwater, taking place Saturday, December 2 through Saturday, December 30.
Now entering its 9th year, Christmas Underwater will welcome the return of Scuba Santa as he brings along a brand new treat for the residents of Adventure Aquarium. Every holiday season, Scuba Santa brings the gift of Christmas joy to all of the animals in the aquarium. To make their Christmas extra special this year, he decided to gather corals from all over the world’s oceans to create the World’s Tallest Underwater Christmas Tree.
Scuba Santa and his “elfish” helpers decorated the tree with colorful shells, thousands of twinkling lights, enchanting bubbles and a bit of magic to the delight of the sharks, stingrays and other sea life in Shark Realm. Santa even left dozens of wrapped presents under the tree for the animals to open on Christmas morning.
“The spirit of the season is at the very heart of Christmas Underwater here at Adventure Aquarium,” said Vince Nicoletti, Executive Director and Vice President, Adventure Aquarium. “We are thrilled to show our guests a very unique holiday experience, especially with the introduction of the World’s Tallest Underwater Christmas Tree. To be able to gaze at this spectacular tree as it glitters and bubbles beneath the water will be a really memorable moment for many families this Christmas season.”
The fun continues with appearances by Scuba Santa both in-water as well as on dry-land. Families can skip the mall, enjoy a day at the aquarium and have their holiday photos taken with a traditional “dry-side” Santa on weekends during Christmas Underwater. New, exclusive Milk & Cookies with Santa events* invite guests to enjoy the aquarium as well as see Santa Claus during special Saturday hours. Of course Santa will also dress in his red wetsuit and dive into Ocean Realm Theater for his “I Believe in Scuba Santa” dive show as well as make appearances in Ocean Realm daily throughout the holiday season.
Visitors will get in the holiday spirit in so many ways, including participating in festive dance parties while snow falls inside the aquarium, listening to elves read holiday stories, mailing their letters to Scuba Santa and much more!
Christmas Underwater Holiday Highlights
- NEW! World’s Tallest Underwater Christmas Tree – At over 18 feet tall, the tallest underwater Christmas tree on Earth has arrived in Shark Realm! Scuba Santa has collected corals from all over the world’s oceans to decorate the tree along with colorful shells, thousands of twinkling lights, enchanting bubbles and a bit of magic. Come gaze at the magical underwater tree as it glitters beneath the water.
- NEW! Milk and Cookies with Santa* – On December 9 from 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m., guests will experience the magic of the holiday season for sea life - Christmas Underwater with exclusive access to Adventure Aquarium, photos with Santa, milk and cookies and MORE!
- NEW! “Dry-Side” Pictures with Santa – Guests will skip the mall this year to enjoy a day at the aquarium and have holiday photos taken with a traditional “dry-side” Santa Claus on weekends during Christmas Underwater.
- NEW! Merry Elfish Storytime – Listen to an elf share the story of Scuba Santa beneath the World’s Tallest Underwater Christmas Tree in Shark Den (Zone D).
- NEW! Snow Shower Dance Party – Dance to festive tunes and then watch as snow falls inside the Aquarium in the Rotunda (Zone B).
- Attend the “I Believe in Scuba Santa” Live Show – Scuba Santa’s #1 Helper shares the story of Christmas Underwater and puts the final touches on the decorations in Ocean Realm Theater with the help of Scuba Santa himself, held daily through 12/23 (Zone A).
- Scuba Santa Appearances –Can’t get enough Scuba Santa? Visit him in Ocean Realm as he stops for underwater selfies with kids of all ages (Zone A).
- Drop off letters to Scuba Santa –Each day during Christmas Underwater, children can share their wishes with Scuba Santa by dropping their personalized letters in a special mailbox in Ocean Realm. Families that provide an email address will even receive a special message response from Scuba Santa!
- Holiday Gift Guide to Make Shopping Easy –Checking off the gift list has never been so simple with Adventure Aquarium’s online Holiday Gift Guide. Find the perfect gift for everyone with behind the scenes animal experiences, year-long Memberships, animal adoptions and more!
*Special ticket or Membership required
Celebrate the joy of the holidays with the entire family at Adventure Aquarium from December 2 through 30, 2017. All daily activities are included with general admission and Membership. To learn more or purchase tickets online, visit www.AdventureAquarium.com.
ABOUT ADVENTURE AQUARIUM
Adventure Aquarium is just minutes from downtown Philadelphia on the Camden Waterfront and features one-of-a-kind exhibits with more than 8,500 aquatic species throughout two million gallons of water. The Aquarium is home to the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, including the only great hammerhead shark on exhibit in the United States. AAQ is the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos, one of only six facilities in the US to have Little Blue penguins as permanent residents and exhibits the longest Shark Bridge in the world, a unique V-shaped rope suspension bridge just inches over Shark Realm. Adventure Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), and is held to the absolute highest standards in animal care and exhibition. Open 365 days a year, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information, visit AdventureAquarium.com.